On December 17th, 2013, I posted a hybrid card that combined a stamp brush image from MDS with physical materials offered through Stampin’ Up!’s catalogs. This tutorial will show you how I made the Baseball on this Sweet 16 birthday card using My Digital Studio (MDS).
1. Launch MDS and open a new or existing project. You’ll notice that I used a plain gray background so that you can see some of the effects listed below.
2. Insert the stamp brush image of your choice. I inserted the same image in 3 different colors so that you can see that no matter what color you choose, they are all hollow — you can see through this baseball.
3. Resize the image by right-clicking the image and selecting Edit Object… The Stamp Settings Dialogue Box appears.
4. Change the Units to Inches and type the desired height and width in the appropriate fields.
5. Insert a circle punch image to act as the baseball fill color. Resize the punch as you did the baseball image.
6. Select both images by clicking on one image and pressing the CTRL key while clicking on the other image (on a P.C.). You’re about to align the images.
7. Align the images by selecting from the menu:
- Arrange – Align – Middle, then
- Arrange – Align – Center. The punched image will now be on top of the baseball image.
8. Click away from both objects to deselect them, then select the circle image by clicking once on it. Position the circle punch to the back by selecting from the menu: Arrange – Order – Send to Back. Or you can choose layers if there are many layers on your project and drag the items in the order in which you want them to be layered on top of one another.
9. Recolor the baseball by clicking on the Recolor Tool.
10. Select the color and the brush size and begin to run your mouse over the areas of the stamp to be recolored. If you make a mistake you can reset this. You can also zoom in on the object which makes it easier to work on the finer details.
11. Click Ok.
12. Group the objects by selecting both objects and selecting from the menu: Arrange – Group.
You now have an enlarged, grouped, recolored baseball! You can recolor most stamp brush sets in MDS using the same process as outlined in steps 9 through 11.
If you have any questions about this technique or any others, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to answer your questions.